STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA invites applications for the position of: Safety Officer
JOB CLASS TITLE: Safety Officer I
POSITION NUMBER: 60014660
DEPARTMENT: Dept of Administration
DIVISION/SECTION: Human Resources Management
$36,677.00 – $58,683.00 Annually
RECRUITMENT RANGE: $36,677 – $50,000
SALARY GRADE / SALARY GRADE EQUIVALENT: GN09
COMPETENCY LEVEL: Not Applicable
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Full-Time
WORK LOCATION: Wake County
OPENING DATE: 05/15/18
CLOSING DATE: 05/22/18 5:00 PM Eastern Time
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
GN09, Recruitment Range: $36,677 – $50,000 MAX SALARY FOR THIS POSITION IS $50,000 The North Carolina Department of Administration (DOA) is seeking applications for a Safety Officer for our Human Resources Management (HRM) Division. The primary purpose of the DOA HRM Safety Officer is to support a comprehensive Safety Program for 900 acres of land; over 6,000,000 square feet of office space; and 150 buildings and their occupants, maintaining a safe work environment. This includes Government employees, visitors, contractors, and the public. Position requires a working knowledge of State and Federal safety regulations, specifically OSHA 29; CFR – 1910 (general industry); CFR – 1926 (construction); knowledge of safe work habits and hazardous materials management; and the tools and equipment used in the occupational safety field. The Safety Officer is required to recognize unsafe conditions/acts and determine corrective actions. The position will also develop and present training programs on a wide variety of safety topics, while establishing and maintaining efficient working relationships with all Agency personnel. The Safety Officer must communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, for a very diverse workforce. The Safety Officer reports to the DOA Safety Program Director and will assist with a multi-faceted safety and fire protection program for DOA that complies with all Federal, State, and Agency regulations. This includes the Environmental Compliance Program, Hazard Communication Program, Hazardous Waste Management, Air Quality Program, Ergonomics Program, Reasonable Accommodation Program, Workers’ Compensation Program, Workplace Violence Prevention, and Safety Training Requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES:
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT AN APPLICATION THAT CLEARLY REFLECTS WORK EXPERIENCE THAT DEMONSTRATES THE FOLLOWING:
- Working knowledge of and ability to apply building codes, NFPA Life Safety Codes, American National Safety Institute (ANSI) Standards, OSHA and EPA Regulations and Standards, and general knowledge of Industrial Hygiene.
- Experience with North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Program administration.
- Ability to follow and work on Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) plans. Ability to work with and create Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA III) and Tier II reporting.
- Experience with methods and procedures for analyzing, evaluating and documenting information relating to specific standards, statutes, and regulations.
- Proven ability to communicate both orally and in writing to a variety of persons at all educational levels, both internally and externally to the organization.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining professional working relationships with all employees, other agencies, and visitors.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Experience and proficiency with Windows based systems and Microsoft Office 365.
- Develop and implement safety and job-related health programs.
- Ability to conduct effective safety related training courses across a diverse audience of employees with various educational levels and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to assist Divisions with safety related issues while maintaining a high level of integrity and confidence.
- Experience working with safety committees and safety task groups.
- Minimum of two years of dedicated safety related work experience.
- Medical Certification may be required to verify the individual’s ability to wear and use a respirator.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree with a major in safety management, occupational safety, industrial technology, or one of the physical sciences from an appropriately accredited institution and a minimum of one year of progressive occupational and safety and health experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
SUPPLEMENTAL AND CONTACT INFORMATION:
** PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ON-LINE USING THIS WEBSITE **
All applicants must complete and submit a State application for employment using the NEOGOV Online Job Application System (http://www.oshr.nc.gov/jobs/) for the State of North Carolina. To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the online application form. Any information omitted from the application cannot be considered for qualifying credit. Attached or incorporated resumes (including Text Resumes on application form) WILL NOT be used for screening for qualifying credit. Please make sure you complete the application in full. “See Resume” or “See Attachment” will NOT be accepted. Other attachments (except a DD-214 copy) will also be accepted, but not used in screening for qualifying credit. Applicants are required to scan and attach a copy of their DD-214 (Form 4 or Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) or discharge orders if they wish to obtain Veteran’s preference. Reference checks will be performed on all selected candidates. Applicants may be subject to a criminal background check.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account and click “Application Status”. It is not necessary to contact the Human Resources Office to check the status of an application.
If you are having technical issues submitting your application, please call the NEOGOV Help Line at 855-524-5627. If there are any questions about this posting, other than your application status, please contact the DOA Human Resources Office.
CONTACT INFORMATION NC Department of Administration Human Resources Management Office Attn: Recruitment Specialist 116 W. Jones Street Raleigh, NC 27699-1322 Phone: 919-807-2480
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.oshr.nc.gov/jobs/index.html NOTE: Apply to the department listed on posting An Equal Opportunity Employer, NC State Government
Position #18-05646 SAFETY OFFICER JB